Thursday 18 April 2013

The land of I dunno where

I can't find this rhyme anywhere on the Internet, my nan said her dad used to say it and he performed it in the theatre. Again, I'm not sure of the proper title but I've called it 'The land of I dunno know where'. There is more to this rhyme than my nan can remember, she can recall something about 'when you make a call' and 'it rains ginger beer'. If anyone knows the rest of it I would love to hear it. 


There's a land unknown to the man from cooks
A land not found in the wise men's books
Children fly to this unknown clime when they've been to a party or a pantomime
A land where the children fly off in their dreams
A land where the trees grow chocolate creams
And no-ones surprised at this wonderful thing for its ruled by a jolly king
Well, where is the land of I dunno where?
Sleep is the driver that takes you there
You jump in his cart and away you start
And he won't charge much for the fare
When you get to the land of I dunno where don't be surprised at the wonders there
There's a blue moon on high and pigs that can fly
Where? I dunno where

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful - I wanna go! Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother sang this to me as well in the 1960s, as she had done to my mother (born 1928). But the first two lines were the other way round- "There's a land not found in the wise men's books, a land unknown to the man from Cooks" Cook is a reference to Thomas Cook, the travel agents. My mother loved chocolate creams as a child and remembered the introduction of the Fry's Cream bar in the 1930s, which was a cheaper alternative to individual chocolates.

    ReplyDelete